Monday, September 20, 2010

Happenings

A lot has changed since I've last written! In fact I couldn't even remember how to log in. There are some exciting plans in the making, the most important being a new baby for us in March! I may have managed to actually pull it off, so that the majority of the cows will be dry in March too. That remains to be seen, I'll have to send in some cow pregnancy tests here in a couple weeks.
We are also finally going to build that little farm/dairy store I've been needing for so long. Construction should begin in a couple weeks. Hopefully we'll also be able to carry a nice complement of local foods to round out the selection. I've been needing a good option to offer my goods, while still maintaining the privacy of our home.
I simply can't be housewife extradinaire right now while trying to juggle everything else. I'm also the only cow milker, cheesemaker, so I can't travel around peddling my cheese. There aren't enough hours in the day!
Had an epiphany yesterday too, about exactly what to do with my milk--as it is limited supply,temporarily, and I'm also of the opinion that it's probably best to really focus on one area of cheesemaking and do it REALLY well. Perhaps the best use of my limited time? I think its time I finally take that intensive 3 day cheesemaking course in Vermont, I've been wanting to do for years--but it's never a good time. Well, it's never a good time is it? I think I'll just try to make it happen.
I will really try to get some pics, now that we have faster internet. I gave up on posting pics with the dial up, LOL! Have a great day!

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on all your very exciting news! Boy do I hear you on the housekeeping thing. The kids are planning to invite folks for Thanksgiving and I have warned them that I am not cleaning alone. lol Hope everything works out great for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to see your post here on your blog! Yes, you should go to the cheese making seminar! How I would love to go too! When is it and where is it exactly? The farm store sounds exciting and a perfect addition at this time! Speaking of perfect additions..........a new baby is ALWAYS a perfect addition!

    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds exciting and very nice to have some privacy! Glad to see you posting again - and that you're going to maybe take that cheese class.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So happy you're back! All the news sounds great - having your home/business separate is a very good idea. What is the cheesemaking course you're taking in VT? Wonderful news about your March baby!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay- a baby! You're so brave...

    I'm a goat dairy farmer in Alaska with a 3 year old little girl and 13 does a milking. And I deliver all my cheese, because we live remote. I want a baby, but haven't figured out how to manage it.

    So cool that you figured out how to pull it off. I'm excited for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy for you, Jessika. Big hugs from NY!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Way to pull yourself out of the rabbit hole! I'm excited to hear about your Vermont school and cheese haps on the blog. I hope things settle down just enough for you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jessika the dairy store sounds fantastic!
    The cheese class should be awesome. What kind of cheese is your one to excel at? Thanks for the update!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm most interested in alpine style cheeses--for the bulk of my spring and summer milk--- and also camembert/brie because of the high fat content of my milk--for Fall and Winter milk.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations, Jess! Glad to see you back posting :D

    ReplyDelete
  11. exciting, a storefront what a cool idea. It sounds like wonderful fun to take a cheese making course.

    and congratulations...

    k-)

    ReplyDelete